Table of Contents
- How Do I Know What Quality Preset Best Applies to My PC Setup?
- What Graphics and Display Options Are Available?
- How Do I Enable Ray Tracing?
- Can I play Hogwarts Legacy on my HD or Ultrawide Monitor?
- What PC platforms is Hogwarts Legacy available on?
- Is Hogwarts Legacy compatible with Steam Deck?
- Does Hogwarts Legacy support Cloud Saving on PC?
- Where can I access my saves for Steam or Epic Games Store?
- How much memory do I need to run the game?
- What video cards can be used playing Hogwarts Legacy?
- Can I use Vsync?
- Can I modify game resolution?
- Can I modify graphic quality settings independent of the benchmark configuration setting provide?
- What if I don’t like my initial image calibration, can I change it later?
- Where are keyboard and mouse controls located?
- Can I reset my PC settings back to default?
- Why is shader compilation taking a long time on initial bootup?
- Can I turn off on-screen displays?
- Can I use game controllers while playing PC version of Hogwarts Legacy?
- Does Hogwarts Legacy support Achievements on PC?
- What languages are supported in Hogwarts Legacy on PC?
- What Accessibility Options are available in Hogwarts Legacy?
- Does Hogwarts Legacy support 3D Audio on PC?
- What audio configurations are available?
- Can I adjust the audio settings individually?
- What Upscaling Technologies are supported on PC?
- What Anti-Aliasing modes are supported on PC?
- What NVIDIA and NVIDIA GeForce Experience software features are supported?
- Does Hogwarts Legacy support DirectX Version 11?
How Do I Know What Quality Preset Best Applies to My PC Setup?
You'll find the [Run Benchmark] option towards the bottom of the Graphics Options menu, which will run a hardware analysis of your setup. After running the benchmark, you can choose to apply the suggested appropriate graphical settings. Your benchmark results will be saved as the recommended global quality preset.
What Graphics and Display Options Are Available?
Under [Graphics Options] in the Settings Menu, you'll see the option to choose between four different Global Quality Presets or various other graphical settings. Making quality adjustments can have an impact on GPU and CPU performance, or VRAM.
- Effects Quality - Set the quality of particle effects to modify the complexity and fidelity of visual effects.
- Material Quality - Set the quality of all materials in the world.
- Fog Quality - Set the quality of volumetric fog. Higher quality improves the fog resolution.
- Sky Quality - Set the quality of the atmospheric sky and volumetric clouds.
- Foliage Quality - Set the quality of foliage. Higher quality increases the density and complexity.
- Post-Process Quality - Set the quality of all post-processing effects such as ambient occlusion, depth of field, motion blur, and lens flares.
- Shadow Quality - Set the quality of shadows. Higher quality increases shadow resolution and view distance.
- Texture Quality - Set the quality of textures. Higher quality increases the overall texture resolution.
- View Distance Quality - Set the view distance quality. Higher quality increases the fidelity of objects in the distance and the distance at which small detail appears.
- Population Quality - Set the quality of non-essential NPCs and creatures in the world.
In addition to these options, you can also toggle other settings under [Display Options] in the Settings menu. The Display Options menu includes the following settings:
- Window Mode - Choose between Fullscreen in Window and Windowed Options.
- Select Monitor - Select the monitor used for the game window.
- Rendering Resolution
- Anti-Aliasing Mode - Anti Aliasing improves the visual appearance of object edges and the overall quality of the image.
- Upscale Type - Upscale Technologies provide high-resolution frames from lower-resolution inputs. This can significantly improve performance. Some upscale technologies might not be available on your device.
- Upscale Mode - This upscale technology determines the resolution at which frames are rendered. Quality Modes render at a higher resolution, while performance modes run at a higher framerate at the cost of image quality.
- Upscale Sharpness - Control the amount of sharpening that applies to the visuals which have been downscaled by the chosen rendering resolution.
- Frame Generation
- Nvidia Reflex Low Latency - Nvidia Reflex is used to reduce system latency which increases system responsiveness.
- Vsync - Enabling Vertical sync will force the graphics card to operate at a rate no higher than the monitor's refresh rate. Default is ON
- Framerate - Set the maximum frame rate cap. A lower framerate may reduce stuttering.
- HDR - Requires that you toggle HDR in Windows Display Settings.
- Image Calibration - Adjust brightness or HDR parameters.
- Field of View - Use a slider to widen or narrow the camera's field of view.
- Motion Blur - Blur fast camera movements and rapidly moving objects. Impacts GPU performance.
- Depth of Field - Adjust the depth of field of your in-game camera. Impacts GPU performance.
- Chromatic Aberration - Chromatic Aberration increases the filmic realism by emulating the color fringe of a real camera lens.
- Film Grain - Film Grains imitates image grain like photographic film does in the real world.
- Select GPU - For users with more than one GPU.
How Do I Enable Ray Tracing?
Ray Tracing is supported for capable Nvidia RTX and AMD RX hardware. By default, Ray Tracing is turned [off]. Each individual Ray Tracing option must be turned on individually. Global quality settings are defaulted to [Medium] but can be adjusted also to Ultra, High, or Low depending on preferences and PC configuration. Enabling or disabling Ray Tracing requires rebooting the game and will impact GPU and CPU performance. You'll find the Ray Tracing settings under Graphics Options in Settings. In this screen, you can enable or disable the toggle the following options:
- Ray Tracing Reflections - Toggle Ray Tracing Reflections.
- Ray Tracing Shadows - Toggle Ray Tracing Shadows.
- Ray Tracing Ambient Occlusion - Toggle Ray Tracing Ambient Occlusion.
- Ray Tracing Quality - Toggle Ray Tracing Quality Presets
Can I play Hogwarts Legacy on my HD or Ultrawide Monitor?
The game supports both HD and Ultrawide monitors. If a Variable Refresh Monitor is present, the game can be set to run by any frame rate supported by the hardware. The game renders at native 4K with HDR support.
What PC platforms is Hogwarts Legacy available on?
Hogwarts Legacy is available on the Steam Store and Epic Games Store.
Is Hogwarts Legacy compatible with Steam Deck?
Hogwarts Legacy is Deck Verified so PC players can take the experience on the go.
Does Hogwarts Legacy support Cloud Saving on PC?
Cloud Saving is supported for Steam. Steam users going between a desktop PC and a Steam Deck are encouraged to close the game on their Steam Deck between each play session so the cloud save data can upload. Steam Cloud can store up to 1.85 GB of save data for Hogwarts Legacy..
Cloud Saving is available for the Epic Games Store version.
Where can I access my saves for Steam or Epic Games Store?
- Steam: %localappdata%\Local\Hogwarts Legacy\Saved\SaveGames
- Epic Games Store: %localappdata%\HogwartsLegacy\Saved\SaveGames
How much memory do I need to run the game?
A min of 16 GB should be used when playing Hogwarts Legacy. Please check out our PC spec page for specific details.
What video cards can be used playing Hogwarts Legacy?
Please check out our PC spec page for specific details based on your personal PC setup.
Can I use Vsync?
By default, Vsync is turned on and the player can adjust the frame rate based on their individual monitor/tv refresh rate configuration.
Can I modify game resolution?
There are several ways to change game resolution:
- You can change your active monitor display setting to the resolution of your choice and restart the game.
- In Windowed Fullscreen mode, you have several options. You can select different quality Upscale Type that will reduce your resolution as a percentage of your monitor display resolution. Or you can disable the Upscale Mode and change your rendering resolution to your choice.
- In Windowed mode, you can change your resolution directly to your choice. Keep in mind that if Upscale Mode is enabled, the rendering resolution will be a percentage of your target resolution. You can disable Upscale Mode if desired.
Can I modify graphic quality settings independent of the benchmark configuration setting provide?
Yes, each graphic setting can be adjusted from Ultra, High, Medium, and Low. We recommended utilizing the benchmark recommendation. Adjusting these settings will have an impact on your PC GPU and CPU performance.
What if I don’t like my initial image calibration, can I change it later?
Yes, under [Settings] -> [Display Options], You will be able to click on [Image Calibration] to either adjust the brightness or HDR settings of the game based on your PC and monitor configuration.
Where are keyboard and mouse controls located?
Under the [Settings]-> [PC Control Options], you'll be able to see and access current default keyboard and mouse controls.
Can I remap my keyboard keys to my personal preference?
Yes, under the [Settings]-> [PC Control Options], you'll be able to access, overwrite and rebind default keyboard and mouse bindings based on your play style and preference.
Can I reset my PC settings back to default?
In the various [Settings] options, you should be able to press and hold the “R” key to reset global active window settings.
Why is shader compilation taking a long time on initial bootup?
Depending on your overall PC configuration, memory, etc., shader compilation can take several minutes on initial bootup to process correctly to help provide best player experience. On sequential bootups, this process should be much faster.
Can I turn off on-screen displays?
Under [Settings] -> [User Interface Options] window, there are several various options to toggle off and on-screen displays based on your personal preference. By default, all these options are turned on.
Can I use game controllers while playing PC version of Hogwarts Legacy?
Yes, all modern game controllers are supported.
Does Hogwarts Legacy support Achievements on PC?
Steam Achievements and Epic Games Store Achievements are supported.
What languages are supported in Hogwarts Legacy on PC?
Please check out Supported Language Options in Hogwarts Legacy
What Accessibility Options are available in Hogwarts Legacy?
Please check out Hogwarts Legacy Accessibility Features (A11Y).
Does Hogwarts Legacy support 3D Audio on PC?
The game supports both 3D Headphones and 5.1/7.1 Surround Sound. Hogwarts Legacy uses Spatial Audio format for Windows Sonic for Headphones.
What audio configurations are available?
Under [Settings] -> [Audio Options] you can adjust to your specific audio configuration to one of the following:
Home Cinema, Head Phones, Sounds Bar, Night Mode or TV
Can I adjust the audio settings individually?
Yes, you can globally adjust several music volume settings independently: Music, Sound Effects, and Dialogue
What Upscaling Technologies are supported on PC?
The game supports PC upscaling technologies from NVIDIA DLSS, AMD FSR, and INTEL XeSS. Hogwarts Legacy also supports new NVIDIA DLSS Frame generation technology for even higher frame rendering quality and framerate.
What Anti-Aliasing modes are supported on PC?
If upscaling technology is not used, additional anti-aliasing is used like TAA High, TAA Low, and NVIDIA DLAA.
What NVIDIA and NVIDIA GeForce Experience software features are supported?
- NVIDIA Reflex - For a low latency system response.
- NVIDIA Ansel - For dynamic screenshot captures.
- NVIDIA Shadow Play - For recording and sharing high-quality gameplay videos.
Does Hogwarts Legacy support DirectX Version 11?
Launching Hogwarts Legacy requires DirectX Version 12. We do not suggest attempting workarounds to run Hogwarts Legacy with DirectX 11 as this can cause issues with launching the game and the player experience.
Article is closed for comments.